Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My First Cake Decorating Competition at Central New York 2010 Cake Decorating Competition

It has only been 5 months since I made my first Yankee Jersey fondant cake when I competed for this cake decorating competition. The competition was held at Ithaca, NY on Sept. 2010. There were 35 competitors from the Beginners, Intermediate, Advance, and Professional categories. I competed for the Intermediate since I only have 5 months worth of part time cake decorating experience. The theme of the competition was about "Nursery Rhymes."

The nursery rhyme I chose was “Pussy cat, Pussy cat.” The rhyme is:
"Pussycat, pussycat, where have you been?"
"I've been up to London to visit the Queen."
"Pussycat, pussycat, what did you dare?"
"I frightened a little mouse under her chair"

The suitcase design signifies travel, where pussy cat travelled to London to visit the queen. The top tier is the London Castle. During the competition, I didn’t have enough time to make the queen. The queen was made last. It didn’t have the same quality as the rest of the cake.

Before the announcement of winners, I also competed for the "30-minute" cake decorating challenge. I was lucky to win 1-hour Fairy Cake Decorating Class.



I took home the Gold Medal for the Intermediate Category. It was so worth it! I also took home silicon molding that is used in making flower and leaves gumpaste and an autographed book of How to Make Flowers and Roses. I was there for the experience and the Gold Medal. I will be back for the next competition and hope to take home the Gold medal for the Advance category...


This picture was the winning cake. It was a fun and friendly competition!



My supportive husband drove straight from work to home (over 1.5 hrs drive with rush hour traffic) to pick me up. Then, we travelled together to Binghampton, NY. We drove over 4 hours to a hotel in Binghampton, NY for a night. It was a very long day for us. My little sister, Andrea, tag along as well. Glad to have my family on my side.....I love my family!


No comments:

Post a Comment