Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Octopus Cake

On May 5 - 6, 2012, the Institute of Culinary Education offered a Fun Shape Cake Class II.  My cousin (Anne from Syracuse) and I baked and decorated a cake design of our choice from the following selections: robot, castle, octopus, and train.  We had options to use one of the two recipes provided in our booklet.  My cake is buttermilk spice cake filled with Swiss meringue coffee-rum buttercream and iced with chocolate ganache.  My cousin chose the eggless / vegan banana cake with wiss meringue coffee-rum buttercream and iced with chocolate ganache.  The tentacles and Marlin (Nemo's dad) were made of rice cripie cereal that we also made in class. 


After the class, we brought home our finished product.  For my cake, I gave it to my family's friend who can share the cake to her church and to little children.  Well, since this is an atypical cake flavor that children are not accustomed to, I am sure they won't eat it simply because it is not a chocolate cake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment