Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Honoring Our Heritage" History Book Cake

It was an honor to be asked to bake and design an open book cake as a center piece for my company's History Event called "Honoring Our Heritage."  The event was celebrated on Feb. 23, 2012.


This cake has it's own story and troubles.  It started when my machine with edible ink cartridges ran out of edible ink in the middle to printing the edible images.  "Boy, I panicked!!!" Then, the edible ink refills and replacement edible ink cartirdges were still on transit.  My other option was to inquire at the bakeries in the grocery stores (i.e., Stop and Shop. Shoprite, and Pathmark), the baker from Stop and Shop told me that Rockland Bakery (about 3 miles from the company I worked) sells custom edible images. How happy I was to hear that news.  He saved me from humiliation and disappointments especially this cake was presented to at least 300 employees.  I do believe in Murphy's Law.  During transit, the cake separated in the middle. With time alotted to me, I was able to remediate the damages, but there was nothing I can do with the cracked images.



Above was the image of one of the buildings being constructed many years ago. The image was printed on an icing sheet using mahine with edible ink.  Below is the image of a newspaper when Lederle, now Pfizer, released the new polio vaccine.


This cake was a vanilla cake with Swiss-meringue chocolate filling.  The cake was iced with chocolate ganache and covered in marshmallow-almond fondant.  The cake board was covered in fondant and airbrushed with edible warm brown food coloring to give it a wood-like texture that resembles a podium.


Feedback from Mr. T. Hart on 02/24/2012 7:06AM,

"Evelyn,

I was very impressed with your Site History cake.  Nice work!!!

Tom"

No comments:

Post a Comment