Friday, April 13, 2012

Krista's Neighbor, Totoro

I was so delighted to be asked to make a birthday cake for a gorgeous young lady, Krista.  Her mom, Sara is our very good friend, asked me to bake a Totoro themed cake for her daughter.   As soon as I heard Totoro, oh boy, I was so excited.  It had been a couple of years since I saw the movie.  So, I pulled out my DVD and enjoyed watching the movie again, but this time with my baby boy, Benjamin.  I just adore Hayao Miyazaki's movies.


This is one challenging sculpted cake to make.  The cake was a vanilla sponge cake, which is not intended to be used for carving cake because of its delicate texture.  However, I managed to pull it through as shown in this picture. The filling was a delicate and rich chocolate Ghirardelli buttercream.

The cake was covered in fondant.  Piped grass was made of vanilla buttercream and adorned with cut out colored flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment